Each month, Cardinal Rule Press founder Maria Dismondy will be reviewing business books she is currently reading. Along with a brief review, she is sharing some of her favorite quotes from the book.
Don’t Keep Your Day Job: How to Turn Your Passion into Your Career
Don’t Keep Your Day Job will get you fired up, ready to rip it open, and use your zone of genius to add a little more sparkle to this world. Cathy Heller, host of the popular podcast Don’t Keep Your Day Job, shares wisdom, anecdotes, and practical suggestions from successful creative entrepreneurs and experts, including actress Jenna Fischer on rejection, Gretchen Rubin on the keys to happiness, Jen Sincero on having your best badass life, and so much more. You’ll learn essential steps like how to build your side hustle, how to find your tribe, how to reach for what you truly deserve, and how to ultimately turn your passion into profit and build a life you love.
Read the blog post PR Insider Tips: Securing Those TV Interviews! for more advice on how to market your business.
I have always loved hearing stories of how others made their own claim to fame in the world. This book, Don’t Keep Your Day Job chronicles several stories just like that. I should note that the podcast is similar in that Carrie interviews these amazing entrepreneurs and their career journey. Which in retrospect is a nice option to have a different platform to learn about going after your passion if reading a book is not the outlet you prefer.
My favorite part of the book is that at the end of each chapter, Carrie lists REMEMBER THIS and JOURNAL. It is a way to recap all that was discussed in concise bullet points. It also allows readers to take ACTION so that you can take what you are learning in the book and move that into the real deal.
Last but not least, the book is very positive and I loved that part of it. I felt like the author was speaking to me and reminding me to get the job done!
*Maria was given a copy of this book to review.
Top 10 Favorite Quotes:
- “But there’s so much more to this idea than simply building a business that allows you to literally quit your day job. It is about finding your life’s work and waking up every day with purpose and gratitude for the ability to live that purpose in a powerful way.”
- “As you begin to design your life around purpose, how you move through the world will change. You’ll want to foster more supportive and positive relationships that help you serve the world.”
- “Let me begin with the most basic and important of all truths: Your presence on planet Earth is a serious matter. You are worthy and were created to enjoy every gift that this world has to offer.”
- “The world needs more people to radiate good feelings, who make the things they were put here to make, who live in a state of abundance and in turn inspire others to reach for the stars.”
- Seth Godin: “To engage in the marketplace, to be able to transact with others… we need a radical amount of empathy.”
- “It is the secret sauce to running a business, building strong and trusting relationships, building your tribe, and making a lasting difference with your time on Earth.”
- “Vulnerability is a strength. It is power. Everything good that’s ever happened in history happened because someone was willing to be vulnerable.”
- “Social media can be a reflection of our legacy instead of a popularity contest. Legacy is not the money you make or the brand you build. It is how you show up in the world each day, facing yourself and your fears, becoming willing to make mistakes and learn. We all have so much to life and brilliance inside despite our broken pieces.”
- Melissa Camillen: “You need a handful of followers that really care about your stuff and will buy from you in order to be successful. I have found
a great way to really engage with your followers is by genuinely complimenting them.”
- “Consistency is important on a number of levels. The more you show up and build your momentum, the stronger your confidence and voice become.”
Don’t forget to sign up for Cardinal Rule Press freebies and tips coming right to your inbox with our bi-weekly Newsletter. Sign up today!
Sign up for Cardinal Rule Press freebies (like this month’s 40 Book Challenge!)
Leave a comment