There are so many business books I have read that have benefited our publishing company or my author platform. Over the next few months, I will highlight some of my favorite business books with a brief synopsis of the book as well as my top ten take aways or quotes.
Book Title: Do Over
When you don’t like your job, Sunday isn’t really a weekend day. It’s just pre-Monday. But what if you could call a Do Over and actually look forward to Monday?
Starting on the first day you got paid to scoop ice cream or restock shelves, you’ve had the chance to develop the four elements all great careers have in common: relationships, skills, character, and hustle. You already have each of those, to one degree or another.
Now it’s time to amplify them and apply them in a new way, so you can call a Do Over on your career, at any age. You’ll need a Do Over because you’ll eventually face at least one of these major transitions:
- You’ll hit a Career Ceiling and get stuck, requiring sharp skills to free yourself.
- You’ll experience a Career Bump and unexpectedly lose your job, requiring strong relationships to survive.
- You’ll make a Career Jump to a new role, requiring solid character to push through uncertainty and chaos.
- You’ll get a surprise Career Opportunity, requiring dedicated hustle to take advantage of it.
Jon Acuff’s unique approach will give you the resources to reinvent your work, get unstuck, and get the job you’ve always wanted!
I listened to this book as an audio book. It was highly entertaining, witty and motivating. It reminded me that resigning from teaching and living the life of an entrepreneur was the right step for me. Less work, more impact, greater salary.
Top Ten Quotes:
- “Choose your attitude every day until eventually it chooses you right back.”
- “Great lives are very rarely created in great comfort.”
- “Generosity is always cheaper than greed.”
- “Right now, 80 percent of employers Google you before they bring you in for an interview.”
- “Hustle tries. Then it fails. Then it tries again, because of grit, which is simply being brave when you don’t feel like being brave.”
- “You know who we should fire, that guy who keeps learning how to do his job even better,” said no one ever.”
- “Attitude impacts everything. Start there. ”
- “Day one of our new adventure behind us, we are shocked to learn the hardest lesson of chasing a dream. When you go for it, you don’t escape fear, you land in it. Fear is not a dragon to be slain once, it’s an ocean to be swum daily.”
- “When you hit a Career Ceiling, you used to have only a few options. You could: 1. Get a job at another company. 2. Do a job you didn’t want to do, like being a creative director. 3. Suck it up and die inside over a period of roughly thirty years.”
- “The other problem with learning a new skill is that it takes forever. How long is forever exactly? Longer than you thought.”
Did you know you can get our latest updates sent RIGHT to your inbox? Sign up here.
My name is Maria Dismondy. I am a children’s book author who also founded the publishing company, Cardinal Rule Press.
Finding ways to market my messages is a passion of mine. I want to help you gain greater recognition of your brand, to generate new readers and improve your sales. Why? Because I love to GIVE and CONNECT and I truly believe we are all in this together!