There are so many business books I have read that have benefited our publishing company or my author platform. Over the next few months, I will highlight some of my favorite business books with a brief synopsis of the book as well as my top ten take aways or quotes.
Book Title: Side Hustle
Author: Chris Guillebeau
The author of the New York Times best seller The $100 Startup shows how to launch a profitable side hustle in just 27 days.
For some people, the thought of quitting their day job to pursue the entrepreneurial life is exhilarating. For many others, it’s terrifying. After all, a stable job that delivers a regular paycheck is a blessing. And not everyone has the means or the desire to take on the risks and responsibilities of working for themselves.
But what if we could quickly and easily create an additional stream of income without giving up the security of a full-time job? Enter the side hustle.
Chris Gullibeau is no stranger to this world, having launched more than a dozen side hustles over his career. Here he offers a step-by-step guide that takes you from idea to income in just 27 days.
Designed for the busy and impatient, this detailed road map will show you how to select, launch, refine, and make money from your side hustle in under a month. You’ll learn how to:
- Brainstorm, borrow, and steal to build an arsenal of great side hustle ideas (day 3)
- Apply “Tinder for Side Hustle” logic to pick the best idea at any time (day 6)
- Learn, gather, or create everything you need to launch; then set up a real-life way to get paid (days 13-14)
- Start raking in the money by channeling your inner Girl Scout (day 18)
- Master the art of deals, discounts, and special offers (day 21)
- Raise your game: improve, expand, or make more money off your hustle (days 24-26)
A side hustle is more than just another stream of income; it’s also the new job security. When you receive paychecks from different sources, it allows you to take more chances in your “regular” career. More income means more options. More options equals freedom. You don’t need entrepreneurial experience to launch a profitable side hustle. You don’t have to have an MBA or know how to code or be an expert marketer. You don’t need employees or investors. With Chris as a guide, anyone can make more money, pursue a passion, and enjoy greater security – without quitting their day job.
Creating a second source of income doesn’t mean people have to quit their day jobs. I could relate to this book because when I became a writer, I was still teaching full time. I figured out how to do both, then when I figured out I could make more and work less by focusing solely on my writing platform, I resigned from teaching. This book is a practical guide on how to get a “side hustle” or as I think of it, a second source of income started.
Top Ten Quotes:
- “As you move forward with an idea, study what other people are doing. Then, do it better or do it differently.”
- “Have imaginary coffee with your ideal customer.
There’s one person out there who meets your profile as the perfect customer. What can you learn from them?”
- “Once you have a great idea and a specific idea of who it’s for, you need to transform that idea into an offer. An offer includes a promise, a pitch and a price.”
- “Like a comic book superhero, your side hustle needs a history. Don’t just give ’em the facts; tell them a story.”
- “Your hustle will require specific tools, resources and deliverables. Learn to find, gather or create everything you’ll need to bring your offer into the world.”
- “Design your first workflow.
You’re almost to launch week. By listing out your next steps in an ordered fashion, you’ll prevent mishaps and feel more confident.”
- “To start, I encourage people to make a series of lists. Write down all the things you like to do, not just the obvious ones. Think about all the skills you have, not just the ones related to your day job or what you learned in college. Often, some combination of these items can lead to an interesting idea.
Also, don’t just ask “What are you passionate about?” Ask “What frustrates you? What could be done better, cheaper, or just more efficiently?” A lot of side hustles come about from people solving problems, or otherwise making some kind of improvement that has value for potential clients or customers.”
- “Side Hustle Goals: Some people want to quit their job and go full-time. Others are perfectly happy in their day job but want a second income or backup plan. Others use the side hustle primarily as a creative outlet, something that uses a different skill or part of their brain than they use for their job.”
- “When you can start a project that makes money for you, and there’s very little risk since you’re not investing much capital — why wouldn’t you? There are many benefits and no real downsides. Don’t wait any longer!”
- “Everyone should have a side hustle. Even if you love your job., having more than one source of income will give you more freedom and more options.”
Did you know you can get our latest updates sent RIGHT to your inbox? Sign up here.
My name is Maria Dismondy. I am a children’s book author who also founded the publishing company, Cardinal Rule Press.
Finding ways to market my messages is a passion of mine. I want to help you gain greater recognition of your brand, to generate new readers and improve your sales. Why? Because I love to GIVE and CONNECT and I truly believe we are all in this together!